Thursday, October 16, 2014

Pumpkin Pie Spiced Pumpkin Seeds {Low Carb, Sugar Free, Paleo}

Originally Posted at Tess And Tigerlily

'Tis the season to be tempted by EVERYTHING sweet and pumpkin-y all around me! Pumpkin goodness is everywhere, especially being a Trader Joe's employee. And since I'm now eating more of a Paleo/Low Carb diet, I'm avoiding many of these delicious temptations. However, I do allow myself tastes and samples when the chance appears.

One thing I tried was TJs new Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds. They were sweet, candied pumpkin seeds seasoned with pumpkin pie spice. I enjoyed my small sample, but honestly, they were too sweet for my liking. I liked the concept, but I personally preferred something that would be more versatile for both sweet and savory dishes alike, as well as contain less sugar.

So I made my own version!


Pumpkin Pie Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
I tried these two ways; sweetened with powdered stevia for a totally sugar free version, and sweetened with maple syrup, and I honestly preferred the stevia version! But if you need a little extra sweetness, maple syrup is a tasty alternative as well.

1 Cup Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or butter, if you do dairy)
1 Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp powdered Stevia (or 2 Tsp maple syrup)

Heat the oil or butter over medium heat, and then add the pumpkin seeds, stir until well-coated in oil/butter. Add your salt and pumpkin pie spice, and mix together. Toast seeds for about 5 minutes, until well-toasted (less, if you prefer softer seeds, more if you like them really crunchy.) Once toasted, remove from heat and add your powdered stevia or maple syrup, and mix. Transfer to a cookie sheet or parchment paper, spreading the seeds out in a thin layer, to cool.

November could hardly wait until they cooled down, and snacked on them warm and toasty! These make a great snack as is, and can be added as a topping for salads, soups, and desserts! I have a couple recipes I used these in that I'm looking forward to posting. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment