Saturday, October 4, 2014

Sugar Free, No-Cook Eggnog

Originally posted 12/5/13 at TessAndTigerlily.com

After trying homemade egg nog at Thanksgiving dinner this year, I was determined to make my own as well. I had very specific ideas of how it would taste and what I wanted to use: I wanted it to be rich, creamy and traditional tasting, I wanted to use pasteurized egg product instead of raw eggs, I wanted it to be sugar free and alcohol free. 

I was really nervous about making it for the first time so I searched for the perfect recipe. But nothing seemed good enough! Some recipes were too complicated with raw eggs, cooking, and straining. Some recipes didn't include the seasonings I wanted to use. I realized I should just make my own recipe!

I adapted my recipe from here. The result was pure heaven! Thick, creamy, and full of that traditional holiday flavor but without the excessive sweetness of store bought brands. I don't feel like pasteurized egg product is as healthy as whole eggs, but I didn't want to deal with cooking and straining them, so the egg product worked just fine! When it comes to sweetener, I used a powdered stevia that tends to be sweeter than some brands. 1/4-1/3 cup of my stevia is equivalent to 1 cup of sugar. So if you decide to go with stevia, be sure to check the ratio, or start with less, and add more to taste.

Sugar Free, No-Cook Eggnog
1 cup pasteurized egg product (like Reddi Egg)
2 cups whole milk
2 tbsp stevia (or to taste, depending on brand and form) or 1/2 cup sweetener of choice
Pinch of cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
I cup heavy whipping cream

Place all ingredients, except for the heavy cream, into a blender and blend until smooth. Next, whip the heavy whipping cream by hand (the way I do it!) or in a mixer until it gets thick, airy and fluffy. Combine the whipped cream with the other ingredients and serve with a sprinkle of nutmeg!

November absolutely loved this egg nog! She calls it ice cream milk. I hope you enjoy it too, and wish you all a merry start to the holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment